View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 06:25 AM
Bottle Blonde

I came to the conclusion that I need something larger than the surface of my ironing board. It is pretty frustrating to press large pieces of fabric on something intended for clothes. I spend a lot of time folding, unfolding, pinning, arranging and re-arranging ...whine, whine, whine.

This is what I was thinking about doing - what do you think and do you use a pressing area other than your ironing board? I thought to buy an 8 foot hollow core door (you can get them without the doorknob hole drilled out) put it across supports...maybe even 2 kitchen cabinets (with drawers) cover it with batting and canvas? or muslin? maybe there is a heat resistant paint I could use? I am worried about the wood warping from the heat of the iron. I could cut the door down if it was too big - I have a huge sewing room so the size isn't too important. I would love to be able to walk around and press from both sides. I think I can get a door for under $50, cabinets could be pricey...may need to go with 2x4 supports.

Anyway - just throwing this out there - I would love to hear how you have solved this frustrating issue - and please tell me what you think about using the door and cabinet idea.