Thread: FMQ- Any tips?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 06:21 PM
petthefabric

What a difference a day made. You made a lot of improvement.
There's a lot of good suggestions here. These were some of my favorites.
Be kind to yourself. Encourage yourself. Take breaks. Loosen up you body-dance. Breath. Play instramentals. Good posture/ergonomics. Take a class. Machiners gloves. Repositioning hands. Practice, practice, practice.

Here's my additional suggestions. Use a product under the fabric on the bed of the machine that allows the fabric to move easier, such as Supreme Glider or Sew Slip.

When I'm learning a new pattern this is my process: get a photo copy of the pattern on paper. With a round point draw the pattern on the paper (no marking, just follow the line). Do it again until you feel comfortable, or even past comfortable to sloppy bored. Now you should be drawing like you write, without thinking, it's become part of you muscle memory. Get a fresh piece of paper. Draw it with ink until you feel comfortable. Now get a practice quilt sandwich about 18" sq. Go to the machine and stitch it over and over until you feel comfortable. You'll find the groove.

Take breaks. Set a timer if you need to.

Go as fast or slow as you want. Single stitch quilting is hard to make a smooth line, it's a little too slow. You need control so don't let the machine run away on it's own, that's too fast. Somewhere inbetween.