View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 08:08 PM
costumegirl

Default Elna Supermatic - a keeper?

Today I found an Elna Supermatic 722010 offered by an elderly fellow who likes to casually tinker with sewing machines and clocks. He told me that he got it from an estate sale and never worked on one before but it runs and all parts are moving - has the green case (missing the handle), a bobbin, a regular foot, the knee bar and has 1 cam in place -cord looks good - no manual - it doesn't look like anything is missing. Sorry but I can't post a pic right now since DS has my camera - will try to do so tomorrow.

He asked $30 and said that I can bring it back this week if I am unhappy and think it will be too much for me to clean up and use.

I am not familiar with these and definitely feel out of my element here but I did get it and thought that I would investigate further. I like the green colour and it's industrial look. The machine finish is good with very few chips. The case has some rust but is in fair shape overall.

It does need a good general cleaning and is very loud when it runs. Are they really noisey?

From what I read, I guess it probably needs a new friction pulley. The cam is held tightly in place and I can not unscrew it to remove it - did set all dials to "0" but the screw won't budge and I didn't want to force it too much - read it is made of bakelite and I don't want to break it.

Comments?? Is this a keeper?? Good price? I checked online prices and there is a big range from $25 - $300.
I have read some good comments about them but I'm not sure if I'm over my head with this one so any info is appreciated as I couldn't find much online other than machines for sale.

Are the parts expensive? Is it hard to get accessories, manual and cams? - would like to find a replacement handle for sure if I keep it.

I'm really undecided on this one and wondering if it's a project that I want to undertake. I know that if I was looking for one and if it was on my "wanted" list I would be thrilled with the find but I really don't know much about them. Thanks for your help

Last edited by costumegirl; 08-20-2013 at 08:11 PM.