Thread: FMQ- Any tips?
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Sneed

First thing I did was straight lines up, down, and back and forth sideways until you get the feel of moving the fabric in all directions without actually turning the fabic...all this while controlling the foot speed. Then move on to gradual swirls and loops. I'm still trying to coordinate controlling my motion and speed as a go around a swirl. My hand motion tends to speed up when doing that . Then try some C's. Going up and around and then back. Then some stippling is always good to get the flow of the whole thing. After you're happier with this the Leah Day tutorials are good to watch.

Always check the back after doing a little to make sure your tension is good. I, like many, am guilty of quilting away without looking only to find a total mess too late. Last week I posted pictures of the goof I made of quilting the folded backing to the quilt. Happy to say I updated that today saying that I was successful at getting all of that unstitched. You might scan through the comments to that post for many good suggestions on removing those bad stitches, etc.

Good luck..I was you not too long ago. Still have much room for improvement, but maybe someday I'll get it all to work right together. Meaning...my hands and foot and brain. I still have trouble with the brain part being able to look ahead and know what I'm going to do while the machine is roaring along.