Old 08-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Iraxy

In December of 2011, we lost my dear mother-in-law Christine to this terrible disease. By the time she died, she was not a smidgen of the wonderful woman I knew and loved for many years.
We put our life on hold for 12 years to care for her in Texas and although it was difficult, it was worth it. She died well cared for and loved. Rest in peace beloved friend.
We also have a quilt that she made for us when we got married. We called it the "I want no grand kids quilt " because it was made of polyester and had cotton batting and was so heavy you could strain a muscle just breathing under it. We still laugh about its weight after 33 years. It's taken lots of washings to get it to lighten up and it still weighs lots.
Dementia gives new meaning to the phrase a "long winding road" because the road gets stonier, lonelier and windier, as you go. Blessed be all who travel this road. Caregiver and patient alike.
The life lesson that I personally learned was that I am married to a remarkable man and after watching him care for his mother I love him even more than before. Should this happen to him, I will strive to be the best, most loving caregiver I can be because he is worth it.