View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 06:34 PM
Alice PD

Default AccuQuilt New Use

I'm working on my first time applique quilt (Sue Garmen's Happy Daze) It has 9 very prominent pinwheels with 16 blades each (You only need to applique 8) I wanted their curved edges to be perfectly smooth. I made template after template and each one had a wobble in/on it. I took my template material (old greeting card) to my accuquilt, found the appropriate size circle to match the curve on my blades, and cut my template with that. Now my template is perfectly smooth around all the bends.

Second thing I discovered...I am using the starch method of folding your edges for applique. I starched my pieces heavely, ironed them dry, placed the template on them in just the right place, then with a small bowl of water and my finger, I rubbed water on the seams to be folded over (that rehydrated the starch). Then took my iron and carefully ironed over each edge. It Worked! All the edged stayed down as if I had glued them. Removing them from my template (quite soon after pressing them - remember I have a card-stock template) was moderately easy too (had I waited too long to remove the pressed over fabric, I think the fabric would have stuck too hard to the card stock template). These two processes have produced perfect pieces to be appliqued. Some days are just great!!!

Question: Do you think I could have cut mylar plastic with my AccuQuilt? Or would that have been to much for the cutter?

Alice