View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 07:44 AM
sarahkatequilts

Default Washing quilt top - allergies - help!

I've been quilting for years, however, I was recently diagnosed with multiple food allergies and chemical sensitivities. After removing everything and getting rid of all the chemicals in my daily routine, I'm allergy free and my sinuses are the happiest they've been in years!

So how is that relevant? I'm working on a couple of quilts that I didn't pre-wash the fabric for because I live in an apt building and hate paying for the washer/dryer for small loads. So now I've been getting headaches and a runny nose with sneezing while I quilt, and the only thing I can link it back to are the chemicals and possible formaldehyde used in the fabric dye process. So now I'm trying to figure out how I can go about finishing piecing this quilt without misery.

Here are my questions:
1. Can I put a quilt top in a lingerie bag in the sink and let it soak in my gentle chemical free detergent, then hang dry it? I finished the scrappy trip along quilt from Quilt-Ville and I want to try to wash it before I baste and quilt it so I can do so allergy-free.
2. Is it possible to do the same with fabric that is already cut up to be pieced?
3. And finally, what about quilt blocks? I'm working on the Swoon pattern, so I have about five 24-inch blocks finished already and I'm hoping I can soak those in some detergent and hang to dry.

Are these terrible ideas? To be completely honest, I'm willing to suck it up and keep a fan going to ventilate the room well while I finish these last few projects. Is it a borderline addiction when you're willing to suffer for your fabric?

Thanks in advance for any help! I've learned everything about quilting from the internet and I don't know anyone who quilts, so I'm hoping someone can help me before I make a huge mistake.