View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 08:52 AM
ArchaicArcane

I agree with Candace. I found it a fairly finicky machine. Other people really like them though.

The pulley (about $20 - $25) was simple to replace though, it just requires a little more care than some other machines because the motor is on springs and can shift around. You need to brace that before you "drive" the pin out. I braced with some quick grips. Then pushed the pin out with a punch. It took me about 5 - 10 minutes without the special tool you can rent from Ray White. Being in Canada, I didn't want the hassle of sending it back and forth.

I have another brown / beige Supermatic here, it's not labelled that way, but it says 722010 on the plate. It will likely sit a long time before I put any work into it, because of the pulley and how much work they take to get purring.

That said, as a machine to use, it seemed quite nice. It was the tuning I didn't like because it seemed temperamental, but the one I had had been stored for 25 years in a basement, so that may have something to do with the grief it gave me.