View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 05:30 PM
deniseraphael

Default Beginner questions

Hi, I'm interested in quilting and have enjoyed reading through the posts here, have learned so much!

For a long time I've wanted to make a quilt; I own a number of them and have always loved them. I just got home from the county fair and am so inspired by what I saw there. I want to do it (just start with something simple).

But I have some concerns. I've researched it in the past and got psyched out by what I found on some other pages about quilting. So here are my questions:

- One website said that in order to quilt you need a sewing table up against a left-hand corner of a room. I just don't have that possibility in my house, there's no available left-hand corner or anyplace where I could put anything to the left of a table. My dining table is round in the center of a small dining area room with no available walls to push it up against.

- So I thought, well, I can hand-quilt it. But I saw in several places where people say that hand-quilted quilts fall apart. (That puzzles me because I own an antique hand-quilted one and it's intact.) Is this true? I just don't know what to do.

- I don't have a special sewing machine, it's a Husqvarna Viking Huskystar. I can't afford to buy a longarm just for quilting. Is a basic sewing machine OK?

I'm no expert seamstress but have done some sewing (mostly projects for home decorating which turned out fine) so think I could do this, maybe start with kind of a simple one.

With these limitations, do you think it's realistic for me to be able to make a quilt? Or should I wait until I have more resources? I would very much appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks so much!
Denise