View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 06:28 PM
orangeroom

I don't know where you got your information from, but suffice it to say, you don't have to have any of those to quilt. While I will admit that it's easier to piece with extra space to the left of the machine, you don't have to quilt there. You can piece on a regular sewing machine. Piecing is the process of sewing together pieces of fabric that have been cut up. You do need some space to the left of the machine. Quilting is the process of joining three layers together (top of quilt, batting, and the backing) with thread. I live in an area where I can go to a LQS (local quilt shop) and rent a LA (long arm). It's used there and it's $18/hr. A queen size quilt will normally take me 3-4 hours to meander quilt. One main difference between sewing regular clothing and quilting is the ironing. When making clothing, you open the seams and iron them, pressing each to it's own side. The majority of the time when making a quilt, you iron both pieces of fabric to one side. It's supposed to strengthen the seam. It helps you when you butt seams.

I'd suggest taking a 'Quilting 101' course somewhere in your area. There literally was a course like that being taught at a LQS. That helped me tremendously. Then I went on to take a 'Sampler Quilting' class.

Good luck and happy sewing, no matter how you plan on doing it!!!