Thread: Chickens
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 06:32 AM
buslady

My DD decided to raise chickens. Started out for food. One batch of 40, then a second batch was joined by 6 hens. Which turned out to be 5 hens and a rooster. LOL The meat is delicious, and after 6 months they are getting eggs. They free range through the day, then go in the pens at night. When they started laying, they were all over the place, so DSIL built boxes for them in the hen house. The kids love them, and DD and SIL do, too. They did get into the garden and ate 2 cabbage plants, and one day DD was looking for a rouge bird when SIL pointed above her head. The Chicken was sitting on the top of the door she was standing in!! All she thought was, "thank goodness it didn't poop". I was talking to her on the phone the other day. She was sitting on the steps in the garage, and one of her chickens came up and sat on her shoulder. I was amazed they would get that friendly! Dirty little creatures they are! We raised them one time and had one that just wouldn't be caught. I am sure he knew what was in store for him. He would corner me in the house and not let me out. Mean little thing pecked at your legs. I called a neighbor and asked him to come kill it for me. He wouldn't do it, but DH finally did after he chased our daughter all the way to the neighbors pecking at the back of her legs. Have fun. Do it cause you want to, I don't think you will find it cost effective. They eat more than you might think.