View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 02:17 PM
ckcowl
Power Poster

the quilts do go together fairly fast- but the clipping is quite time consuming (and hard on the hands) then the laundering, shaking, laundering, shaking... you should decide (with her) a price per quilt- agree mutually and get a 50% deposit before starting them- with the balance due when you deliver the quilts- when I do commission quilt I let the purchaser know the deposit is non-refundable; and payment has to be paid in full before they get the quilts. if you want to price them by the hour you need to decide what your time is worth- I charge $20 an hour for sewing- but when it comes to quilts I always decide on a price for the quilt- unless you've made a few and know how long it will take you it is difficult to estimate- you may think you can make one in 8 hours- then find it takes you 20...is she going to acceptable to paying so much? maybe you should make yourself a raggy quilt, see what it takes, how long it takes, and whether or not you really want to make 5 of them- that would also give you the chance to decide what a fair price would be.