Thread: Chickens
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 07:04 PM
gale

We have chickens just because we wanted to have them and also for the eggs. I used to raise chickens in my former life (about 20 yrs ago) so I knew what we were getting into. DH's mom always had chickens when he was little.

The fresh eggs are much better than store bought eggs. We rarely sell them-only when we get a lot. We give them away to family and we use them ourselves.

Our chickens are in a coop and enclosed pen, and we just feed them once a week or so (the feeder holds a lot) and make sure they have water every day. Collect the eggs daily and every day I throw them some grass or marked down produce or peels from when we use produce. Tomatoes from the garden that get half eaten by bugs go to the chickens. Also, during and after harvest, we throw corn that spilled when dh was filling the grain bins, and in the summer he saves the wheat that gathers in the bottom of the grain trailer.

I have a blog about them-I don't blog about them anymore (they haven't really changed at all since the last time I took pictures) but it shows our chicken coop that dh and I built, and the chickens. We've lost 2 hens since the start so we now have 9 hens and 1 rooster.

http://lookslikechickenscratch.blogspot.com