View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 10:51 PM
SumikoKeel

Default Quilting with Poll or Cotton Thread

Good Morning Ladies,

This is my first question for the board and after lurking for sometime and enjoying your posts and helpfulness, friendliness I have gathered my nerve to post what perhaps is a redundant question. In hopes I may glean a better understanding of something I can't quite grasp as of yet.

I'm a novice quilter ( maybe even less than..) I'm stitching a Grandmother's flower garden by hand (paper piecing) - and a dresden plate large fan size on the machine with Mettler cotton covered polly thread? I think , thats what it is...anyway. I'm practicing free motion quilting small bits with the Mettler and a 14 needle with not much problem. I purchased an Etsy Class - woots - and had a great time with that! Gained lots of info on free motion. ( not much on threads and needles).

I suppose the question is - do I free motion with what I have? Or do I go with a nice shiny poly thread ? And how do I determine what thread and needle size? It seems to be a deep multi scary universe out there.

To give you an idea of my dohness I just figured out my birds nest and needle freezes were caused because (SURPRISE) !!I needed to clean my bobbin.

I'm so new at this and it's all a language I have no clue. I'm sewing more by hand than I'm by machine sometimes... ( kinda addicted to the paper piecing). lolol .Any help would be sooooooo welcome and muchly appreciated. When I get my quilt top unfolded after the cat gives up her spot I'll take a pic... the top is a little " green" I was thinking GARDEN PATH... lol the cat is thinking " mine" I should say cats.. they take turns of ownership. And my poor dresden needs to get finished so I need to do the thread choice thing . lol .. Imma lost cause. THANK YOU.