Old 08-24-2013, 05:15 AM
sharrosen

Default A newbie question about glue and washing fabrics and quilts

First some background so you can understand where my question is coming from. I fell in love with a McKenna Ryan pattern that had nine blocks of seashore scenes and thus began my journey in quilting. It was ambitious for a first time effort but I finished it in about a year. Nothing in the directions told me to prewash the fabrics so I didn't. I don't see that it is a problem since it is a wall hanging. I took it to a local LA quilter to quilt and bind. So I was ready for my second quilt. I agreed to make a chuppah (ceremonial canopy) for a wedding. It is going to be used this weekend for the wedding (I temporarily put a binding on it) and I am going to take it back to remove the binding, quilt and rebind after the wedding. Again, I did not prewash the batiks I used for the applique (on a white background). So now I am getting to my question. I may decide to FMQ this one myself, so I was reading all the information on the boards about using glue to "baste" the backing, batting and front of the . Is this something I can do if I am not going to wash the quilt? Given that the fabrics are all orange/red batiks on a white should I even attempt to wash the quilt after glue basting? Or would you advise that I just pin baste or take it to the local LA quilter? Is it always advisable to wash fabrics before appliquing or making blocks?