Old 08-24-2013, 06:50 AM
applique

@ post# 211, applique: Do we get to see a picture of this quilt? I'd love to see it. Or give us the name of the book, if you know, so we can look it up. Very curious here.
peace[/QUOTE]

OK, here goes! When I started quilting (applique) in the early 70s there were no new books, patterns or magazines. Then the Bicentennial hit in 1976 and quilting was hit with a jolt that started the explosion we are still enjoying today. The early applique was very simple and rather general in design until artists got their hands on it. Oh my! I still remember going to a quilt show and seeing my first raw edge applique on a wall hanging! What on earth is this? Another twist, how amazing with all the detail!
Here are the books which I collected and eventually had put into binders and which chronicle my journey as a applique quilter. Botanical Wreaths by Laura Reinststler (1994), Applique in Bloom by Gariella Swain, Floral Applique by Nancy Pearson, Beautiful Blooms by Susan Propst, Paradise Stitched by Sylvia Pippen and Quilts From Nature by Joan Colvin. Some are old and out of print others newer and still available. With raw edge came the ability to really get into details enhanced by the use of fabric paints and photographs, another whole new dimension. Faces and Places by Charlotte Warr Andersen and painting books like Painting the Drama of Wildlife by Terry Isaac and Wildlife Painting by Patrick Seslar
Hopefully you can see some of these books at a library (guild or public) and enjoy the progression of applique.
Attached Thumbnails books.jpg