Thread: Chickens
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 05:18 PM
QuiltingNinaSue

Yes, we have chickens in North Central Missouri because we were both raised on a farm in Southern Iowa. We lived most of our working years in cities in the USA and could not have them then. Since retirement, we have chickens, guineas, and ducks. They are my dh pets. I love Rhode Island Reds and New Hampshire laying hens the best...dh wanted Dark Cornish, so we got a few. They will be the first in the pot as we eat the oldest first. If dh agrees, he loves every hen, rooster, guinea, and duck as his personal pet. Its all my fault because I ordered them, that the feed bill is sooo high.

Sitting hens are great to hatch out eggs; hatched out 12 guineas this summer. Every bird has its own personality and are fun to watch...right now we have gone from no rooster to too many roosters. Cost affective?????? No way. Have 19 older hens, 7 juveniles and 9 younger chicks. Six older ducks, nine younger brown Campbell ducks. Dh built a couple of A-frame chicken tractors from the million choices on internet. Straw got up against the heat lamp in the shed and it started a fire that entertained our small village for an afternoon., burning up one A frame but did not kill any of the chickens. Orscheln's now has 'hen pens' for a few hens that you can purchase commercially. I bought the small one this spring, and its a transitional lodging for young fowl, until they get big enough to join the main group.

If you have questions, please BM me. We still have a farmer's heart even in our early 70s, raising garden, orchard and fowl critters.