Thread: Chickens
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 07:09 AM
lorli

I forgot to say that my bantams kill snakes! (I wish they wouldn't). We had problems with predators like raccoons, mink, fisher etc. I don't think that coyotes would bother with them, there is so much wild game for them around here. They live in my garage, DH put up some roosts for them and of course we don't use the garage for cars! I leave a night light on and the door open just enough for them to go in and out, when I know I am going to get home after dark. They are also good little compostersln, I give them leftover vegetables, rice etc. and they love to pick at corn cobs and they also like to peck at rinds or slices of watermelon and cantaloupe. They clean them right down to the dry cob or skin!

And of course, there are not many things cuter than baby chicks and (especially) baby guineas! I love to watch the mothers and babies together. Sometimes you get two mothers taking care of one baby and they work really well together. This year, one of my mother hens had two chicks, but then she took someone else's baby and all three of them did really well. She likes to sit in the sun and the little ones climb up and sit on her back.