View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 07:14 AM
debcavan
Power Poster

Default Vest and Jacket wardrobe

I made a wardrobe of jackets and vests years ago mainly patchwork just one wholecloth. They were so handy and so comfortable. They were also a place to try techniques.

I started again with jackets, a pink one that I had to recut because of too much fullness in the back near the armhole. It was a lightweight, very flat, polyester batting. The second was a lightweight denim one that turned out to be the handiest thing I own. I wear a lot of vest so I decided to make a wardrobe of vest. Of course I had to do a denim one since like the jacket it would be handy and not show the dirt. I made an off white one for "good" I did another with roses on the back for "good". The dark purple one is the back of fabric that was a gift. It was metallic gold and purple on the "good side" The light purple is a snow dye I did a couple years ago. The two denim patchwork garments are from years ago and I still get compliments when I wear them. The patchwork jacket is actually from way back in 1985. The patchwork vest is from in the 90's, a good way to try patterns from your embroidery machine.

The black shows how I do this. The fabric is quilted on big pieces of fabric. I chalk on the outline of the pattern piece and then quilt an inch beyond that to make up for the shrinkage of quilting and also of the washing. I wash the pieces before I cut them out. I use wool batting but have been told silk is wonderful. I know wool gives my feathers a good puff. I don't know about silk since I have never used it.

I love them. They are not only wonderful for teaching and quilt group meetings but look good to non quilters.
Attached Thumbnails jackets-one.jpg   jackets-onee.jpg   jacketseeee.jpg   jackets-oneeee.jpg