View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 10:49 PM
bstanbro

This pattern was in the April/May 09 issue of Quilt magazine. The large squares are 13-1/2 inches and the smaller squares for the four patches are 7 inches. The original pattern did not use batting, but I decided to use it anyway. I cut the batting into 12-1/2 inch squares. For the four patches, I stitched in the ditch (as the pattern said to do), and I also tied the batting in the center of each of the 7-inch squares using a bottonhole stitch on my sewing machine. If I were going to make this quilt again, I would also tie it at each corner because it bunched up in the corners a little bit when I washed it--no harm done, since no one but me will notice. For the larger squares I stitched straight across the center of the block, and then again three inches to each side.

The pattern called for 8 yards of a striped fabric. That is the main fabric with the logs and bear tracks. Then I noticed that she had actually sewn her own striped fabric using strips of fabric. Then she stitched in the ditch of those stripes. It made me kind of mad when I realized it because I knew my quilt wouldn't look like hers and I'd already bought the fabric. As it turns out, I like the looks of mine better so it all worked out in the end.