Old 08-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Cre8tvlwyr

Adnil -the fabrics I used for DJ were mostly small pieces. I didnt pre-wash anything! Hopefully I will not regret it. I have made over a very very long stretched out period of time [since the 60s] about 40 or so quilts - only two have run. One just a few weeks ago I'm afraid, but not very badly. It was my All around the Town quilt I will put into our local show [and Cindy - - no ....still procrastinating & Jane is helping!!] the tree trunks bled ever so slightly. I failed to put color catchers in my He washer when I washed the top to get the blue pattern marker out. With color catchers or retayne or synthropol - the colors in fabrics are quite stable. I also once read - I believe it was something by Sharon Schramber who has won many many quilt awards, to shrink the fabric you applique with but not the background because that way your appliqued work will be 'pulled under' when the background shrinks a bit. Many quilters I know dont preshrink because that gives your finished quilt a softer crinkly feel afterwards. There are as many opinions as people!! I think if you have a color that is questionable to you, I do soak in cool water with a color catcher of some sort [years ago before they existed a little vinegar].
Have fun!
M