Old 08-26-2013, 10:46 PM
dreid

Charlee,
Thanks so much for your encouragement. I'm not that young. I'm starting year 32 in education, and I hope to retire in the near future. Despite what my body seems to indicate though I'm young in spirit and have learned in the last couple of months to make the most of every day through a new adventure God has given me.

Another love of mine is a mission work in India my family has supported and participated in for over 30 years now. We'll be going back in December, Lord willing. When we were there three years ago, I helped to open a new sewing room. We unboxed brand-new treadle sewing machines for these young women to learn the trade of becoming a seamstress. It was so exciting! It was also so hard to believe that there are still brand new treadle sewing machines being made. But when you think about the big wide world outside of the US, you realize that having electricity or at least consistent electricity is not a given. In fact it is often a luxury especially in rural areas. In the time since we left, they have opened a few more sewing centers. The young women are trained in how to sew garments for both men and women, and they have had steady business without any advertising. Word of mouth and quality garments speak for themselves. I can't wait to get back and see what is happening. I would love to get my own machine operating and practice some because I would love to be able to spend a little time sewing if our schedule allows. Many of these young women have no or limited education and/or they find themselves as widows with no means for supporting themselves and any children. Providing them with a means to earn a living is truly a blessing! A brand new machine costs about $85 US dollars. We also have been able to provide fabric so they can learn, and even to start them as they begin sewing for the public. We do many other works of which I am very proud especially the educational institutions, and in fact I'm looking forward to conducting professional development for the teachers. It was a first last time as well, and it was probably the most rock star moment I have experienced as an educator. So we are very anxious to return. We have much work to do and many memories to make.

OK i will quit rambling, but I love the thought of learning more about these machines I love and combining that with my love for the mission work in India and these sewing rooms which are providing a real means for earning a living for women who so desperately need a means for support for themselves and their children.