View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Butterfli19

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
I am still confused especially about the phrase "there are no longer boutique stores that cater to the obliged".
yeah, probably not grammatically correct but I got swept up in the moment. What I meant was that when I was much younger, there were what is probably similar to strip malls today - stores in the small cities that offered to the middle and higher financial classes. You could go into any store and find something different. Boutique shops sold lingerie only (Lady Grace, my mother's favorite), well made tailored clothing at Hudson's (my favorite shop) and Mitchells Dept store that carried everything you would need to supply a happy home, including a shoe repair shop and TV test tube stand (remember those? lol).

Now it seems it's all a mess. Everyone carries everything and specializes in nothing. Nothing stands out from the rest. I don't travel the East coast looking for bargains but I tell you, I get sick of shopping. On-line is a gamble, as someone said you really can't tell from the picture. I am by no means rich or even well-off, but I buy what I can afford, I sometimes splurge, but I'm not going to settle.

Everyone has to decide their own, which was my initial point when I posted about generalizations, because everything is everywhere. I'll buy something at WM if it's cheaper, why not? You can't boycott everyone, you'd never have anything. It's like lately at work the phrase seems to be "living the dream". Well, that was started by the VP who is a bazillionaire, told to us peonies, and I just turned it to be yes, I'm not living his, but I'm living mine. Well, it isn't where I thought I'd be when I was planning my life at 17, but it works for me.

Last edited by Butterfli19; 08-27-2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: grammar, never was very good at it