Old 08-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Neesie

Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
Using Elmers glue sounds messy! how do you use it and keep it from getting messy on your fabric?
I'm not the best at explaining things but will try. Maybe someone else can add to this.

I use large, sweeping motions and apply the Elmer's School Glue fairly quickly, so that just a thin line hits, in any one spot. It ends up being a sort of wide serpentine pattern of thin glue lines. The lines don't have to be that close together but I try to make mine at least every inch or so. If the glue comes out in a blob, I just use the tip of the glue bottle, to smear it a bit. I apply the glue in a serpentine strip from top to bottom, but only 1/4 to 1/2 of the batting width, at a time. This makes it easier to make any needed adjustments, if I put the top on crooked. Anyway, then I position the top onto the batting, lightly pat it down into the glue (it isn't enough glue to soak all the way through) and smooth out the entire top, making sure I have it straight and centered. After the first section is glued on, I fold back the unglued part of the top, then glue another section (top to bottom). I usually end up with a bit of glue on my fingers but it dries quickly and then I can "roll" it off, into the trash basket. If it's more than just a bit, I use a damp paper towel.