View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 04:49 AM
applique

Originally Posted by MDQuilter View Post
Machine applique with fusible web? If you don't want it stiff, use a 'lite' version and only the outer 1/4" of each piece and then a satin stitch around the edges.
Misty Fuse is the lightest (you can even hand quilt through it). You can make your cutting template out of freezer paper, iron it to the front of the fabric (red on white so no shadows), apply the fusible to the back side around the edges. Now you are ready to cut out your pieces following the template drawn on the freezer paper. If you don't want to use any fusible you can omit that part and simply put your cut out red pieces on the white fabric using Elmer's WASHABLE School Glue to hold them in place while you stitch them. At this point remove the freezer paper from the front. When you stitch them down (I use satin stitch so it is machine wash and dry) be sure to use a stiff TEAR AWAY or wash away stabilizer behind the piece. It will help keep everything nice and flat and give you an extra way to grip the piece as you stitch. I use a nice heavy paper used for covering problem walls before putting on the wall paper (wall liner) but not the WOVEN stuff, I want it to fall off as I stitch or at the very least pull away very easily after stitching. I would suggest you try this first with just one of the letters in the size you plan to use to make sure it is what you want and easy enough for you to do. You can always ask more questions if you have them, I do this a lot. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by applique; 08-29-2013 at 04:53 AM.