Old 08-29-2013, 08:56 AM
DogHouseMom

Next up is "I'm having a no hair day" ... this is a chemo quilt I made for a friend last summer. When she first told me that she was diagnosed she said that she was going to get all kinds of crazy whacky wigs when she lost her hair, and I told her to go "Persis Kambata" bald. She did eventually decide on the bald look (and ROCKED it!) and threw herself a big "shave my head" party before the chemo even began. That event gave me the idea for the quilt and I started and finished within a matter of days.

The quilt is strips sewn together (ala "jelly role race" style except I bought yardage and cut my own strips). Then I drew a silhouette of a woman onto Kona solid black as well as the words, fused them on then stitched around the raw edge with a small stitch using clear poly thread. When I quilted, I used black thread to go over the clear poly on all the black areas, I highlighted a few areas of the woman to show shape (under boobs, neck, and she even has 3 pubic hairs), and the background is stippled with some words written in. The label was done on my embroidery machine.

While I'm here, I might as well add an awesome update. She was diagnosed in May, began chemo in June, had a double masectomy in November (her choice to have "the evil sister" removed even though only one was affected), and reconstruction surgery in February. Just this past weekend ... she climbed to the top of Mt. Whitney!! She's an awesome lady, had a great healthy attitude through the whole thing and I knew her sense of humor would appreciate this particular chemo quilt, glad to say I was right.
Attached Thumbnails chemo-quilt.jpg   chemo-quilt-label.jpg