View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 02:08 PM
yourstrulyquilts

Originally Posted by Sparky
I was wondering what type of need do you think there is for classroom classes? I enjoy designing and making both art and traditional quilts and clothing. I want to approach a local quilt store and submit an idea for a class, but I don't know where to start.
1. I would like your feedback on your own personal interests.
2. I would like your feedback on the following areas: Part #1 Creating designs to modify an existing jacket pattern. Part#2 Inserting medallions in a jacket using paper piecing techniques.
The photos are of a jacket I made using a pattern, but I thought the short style might not be good.
The need for new and different classes is an ongoing process in a quilt shop. Look at the class schedule to see if what you want to teach is being offered or not. Decide what you would like to teach, make samples in a variety of colors and, in the case of your beautiful jacket, lengths. Learn ALL the tricks and shortcuts and be able to put it together in your sleep! If a student asks "why this" or "why that" you need to be able to answer with confidence, and in order to do that you need to know all the loopholes.
Then you can approach the quilt shop owner, or her Class Organizer, and sell yourself first, by being well dressed, groomed and poised. The owner needs to see your work and you need to present it with total confidence and some authority. I say some, because you don't want to overshadow the boss! If she asks you questions, again, you need to be prepared to answer with clarity and confidence. It would help if you frequented the quilt shop for awhile before you actually approached the owner. They kinda like to know you spend a little money there, and if you have a friendly relationship with the clerks and the owner would ask if any of them knew you, they could answer appropriately. And in talking with the clerks, you may actually get some ideas about what is needed in that particular shop. I hope this helps.

YTQ