Old 08-30-2013, 03:16 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

your quote was not too high- but there are still people out there who will make quilts for much less- different people shop differently, make differently and charge differently. I recently repaired a quilt for a lady who told me a lady at her church had made it for her & charged her $45- it was a 'lap quilt' about 45" x54" simple patchwork and tied- made out of 'recycled' cotton/'poly blend. I told her she got a good deal, repaired it, removed the ties and quilted it (I had to take the sandwich apart to do the repair) and did not charge her for the work I did- I just made *2* twin sized appliqued quilts which the agreed upon price for was $850 each... the person who gave him the $75 price might be using cotton blend sheets for backings, coupons/sales for batting, I've had lots of people tell me it costs more to have their quilt quilted than it did for making it. just remember (you often do get what you pay for) and it has nothing to do with 'ignorance' == some people just make much less expensive quilts than other people. and the 'general public' really has no idea what goes into a quilt -- they base their 'experience' with shopping at walmart- or where ever sells bedding- I've had people ask me- "why would I pay you $350 for a quilt I can get at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $80?" I tell them- you can not get one of 'my quilts' at Bed, Bath & Beyond but if that is what you would rather have that's ok- I own quilts from Pottery Barn- which I love- and know I could not make one like it for what I paid for it.