Thread: Long Arm whine
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 08:17 AM
CarolynMT

Feline:
Oh nuts, I thought the essential cotton was 40wt, which i generally run all the time. I like the backing to show off the quilting as well as the top just a drama queen here. Wait...I just loaded a So fine 50wt in the top and it is considerably thinner than the CT, did you mean that CT is 30wt? it isnt as big as my 30wt YLI but not nearly as thin as my So Fine 50wt....that is why I thought it was 40wt. I need a new cabinet for threads sorted by weight so I remember.

I did notice that the rainbows break very easily and frequently. They have replaced the highlights line with the Magnifico, which really does better. Guess I should start getting the fantastico (the variegated) instead of rainbows.

I generally wind my own bobbins, took forever to get that little machine working where it winds the bobbins with the right tension, but finally have bobbins wound at right tension (i think )

Every time I clean bobbin area (whenever change bobbin) I clean out that spring area, never found anything there, but figured it was a good habit to get into.

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM

This is FABULOUS about tension on any long arm machine. I do not have a bobbin winder so I use Bottomline pre wound bobbins. I use mainly Connecting Threads Poly longarm quilting thread (forget the name) on the top as it is really cheap.

I was using serger thread on top and having too much breakage. It is just not strong enough.
I have see Jamie Wallen's video often thanks though it really is helpful. However the Innova's light a slightly tighter tension than what he does. I spoke with the manufacturer about it a while ago, my machine likes to be somewhere between the innova recommendation and jamie wallens tension. temperamental machine that it is.

I finished that quilt, and am on one now with very different threads, I wanted a thick line on the back and a very thin one on top. So using both black, the CT in bobbin and So Fine 50wt in the top. But not doing pantographs. Perhaps my speed is too much for the rainbows thread. When I free hand stuff, I tend to move much slower, and am not having trouble now with the threads....or perhaps she is just being contrary for fun my cat must have told her how to irritate me

Thanks ladies for your help