Thread: My Avatar Quilt
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 01:07 AM
gaigai
Banned

K3n, there is a story for the pillow. He LOVED it. He slept with it every night, and in the daytime usually had it on the couch with him. He took it with him when he traveled. He wintered here in Texas with us, but went back home in the spring and spent the summers and fall in Ohio. Over the years that pillow became VERY dirty. It was spilled on and dropped and loved. But since it was real velvet and satin, and all the embellishments, it wasn't washable. It got to be pretty gross. Mom kept telling me to make him another one, but I didn't feel it would be the same. Anyhow, when Grandpa died, the plan was that it would go in the casket at the very end. But mom was sick when Gramps died, and in fact, when we went to the funeral home the day after he died, to make his arrangements, they thought we were coming in to make pre-arrangements for HER! Turns out she was in big time heart failure, and ended up going into the hospital that day and having heart surgery within the week. Grandpa was buried in Ohio, but Mom was so sick, and frankly we didn't think she was going to make it, so none of my immediate family were able to go to Ohio for his funeral. And somehow, the pillow didn't get sent with him.

Soooo, after Mom was better we discussed what to do with it. Really, there was no other option than to throw it away. But I couldn't do it and neither could she! I think we had one of my brothers actually do the deed! Did I mention that by then it was really pretty nasty? Even then we felt guilty! LOL