Old 09-03-2013, 05:30 AM
ggenovez

Thanks Joe,

It's actually a 99. Unfortunately I already had the machine soaking in kerosine when you mentioned I should not. I recall the singer restorer manual said it was fine. When I pulled the machine from the kerosine, it was dull, a bit of SM machine oil and she looks beautiful again.

Ok, looks like I'll have to drag the box with me to see if I can find a match.

Any advice on cleaning or refinishing the box?

Anywhere I can get a replacement Singer logo?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
George,

Welcome to the QB.

From the eBay picture your machine looks to be a model 66-18. I have three of them. I like them a lot.

I wouldn't let the entire machine soak in kerosene as I don't know what effect that would have on the crinkle paint.
I've had excellent results using sewing machine oil with a tooth brush and cotton balls cleaning my crinkle machines. I have a bunch of them.
Letting the under side soak in the kerosene is fine, I'm just not sure of the painted parts.

I "think" the veneer on the case is either walnut or oak. I have one that has been stripped of it's stain and it looks like walnut to me. But I'm not a wood X-spurt.
I get my veneer from a local furniture manufacturing store. But I have seen on line sources. Unfortunately with the last computer crash I lost those links. Perhaps a search for veneer for sale might get some results. Or one of the other forum members might have the links.

Joe