View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 07:00 AM
grant15clone

Nanna, Thank you for the kind words.
You can get Jewelers Rouge at Walmart, or on line. It is a buffing compound.
I do take apart all upper and lower tensions and polish each piece. Nothing to be afraid of Nanna. When I take them apart I set them down in order. I clean them in order and assemble as I go. I also recommend taking a picture of it before you start and all of the parts in a row in order too after they are all out. Clean each piece and put it back together. If you are doing it for the first time I would recommend doing it with no interruptions so your memory is fresh. After you do it a few times you will see that there was nothing to worry about in the first place. Note where the spring is pointing when you start and try to get it back in the same spot when it is done. There are two types of removing of the center post. One is a set screw, and the other unscrews from the head. I guess I should do a tutorial on my Sew Restored page. The tension knob can be difficult to clean. I use a brass brush to get heavy gunk off and scrub the rust out with it on these knobs. Then I go over it with a buffing wheel.
It sounds intimidating and difficult but it is much easier than you might think.

Here is a before and after of the upper tension. I have the parts laid out in order of how they go back together. The part all the way to the left is specific to the Free Westinghouse this tension goes to.
~G~

[ATTACH=CONFIG]434004[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails upper-tension-b4nafter.jpg