Thread: Moving Stash
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 10:12 AM
MargeD
Power Poster

When we had to downsize from a 3 -bedroom home, with 2 sewing spaces, to a 2-bedroom apt. I had great difficulty paring down my stash. Thanks to a dear friend who "inherited" the majority of what I left behind, helping me decided what to keep, what to give away, knowing that if she couldn't use the fabric, that she would find someone else who could, like a mutual friend who makes "Caring Covers" for children who have been hospitalized and need some comfort. I "downsized" my stash by almost 50%, but then told my husband that I refused to give up any more fabric, especially when quilting is my "sanity", and we would be together 24/7. I tried to organize by fabric type, Christmas, children's, fall, etc., but in the end, the majority of it went into clear plastic bins. Besides adding some color, it's easier to see some of what I have with the clear totes. I'm so glad I kept what I did, as I haven't bought much fabric in the last 3 years, only "fill-ins" where I needed a background fabric or a fabric to finish a quilt, but mostly I quilt from my stash. I find it nice to go just a few feet to "shop" in my stash, not quite as much fun as a quilt shop, but it works for now. By the way, we are retired, so I need a hobby and have even made some money from my quilting and crafts.