Thread: Need help
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 03:43 PM
jodyquilts

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
wow, nice! and I bet heavy. what were you thinking of using for backing? a nice double sided flannel might be a good choice- and a light weight batting (the batting will help cushion the seams) you can buy wide flannels from a few places on line- I get mine from 'fabric.com' most often. I would quilt it then bind it- doing the turning method you would have a pretty stiff edge from the top fabrics. I've used upholstery fabric for backing before and it made really nice quilts- only down side is they have to be dry cleaned instead of laundered- but if you vacuum it once in a while to keep the dust/hair, ect down the dry cleaning should only be necessary once or twice a year.
I was not going to use batting, but you make a good point. I had thought of flannel, but then I found in my stash a pretty beige cotton that has a nice feel to it. If I used it and put a thin batting that should help with the seams not coming through. I guess I could bind it with the fabric I was going to use for the backing. Thanks for you suggestions.