Thread: Quilt labels
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 03:51 PM
ckcowl
Power Poster

I have made lots of different labels over the years- and my favorite is using the Micron Pigma Pens- they are acid free, archival quality ink- do not bleed, fuzz around the edges or fade- come in a good selection of colors and are permanent. I've made a few on the computer using word pad- then printed them onto fabric- which I then sew onto the back of the quilt- I pre-wash fabric with detergent- no fabric softener- press freezer paper to the back of it- cut it to the size of printer paper- then just run it through the printer- the nice thing about these is you can add a picture-- I've printed pictures then printed my label over the top of it- made some pretty custom awesome labels- I set them aside to 'cure' allow the ink to saturate the fibers & dry- then I heat set. there are many fabric markers on the market- but I prefer the micron pigma pens- they do come in a fine or medium point once in a while I write on the back of a quilt but more often I write my label onto fabric (sometimes with fusible on the back) then sew it onto the quilt. there are also premade labels you can buy by the yard which you fill in the blanks with a pigma pen- and joann's carries books of iron on labels which are permanent- you choose the one you want- iron it onto your fabric and again- fill in the blanks with the details- I have 2 of those books- they have 50 different labels in them- cost about $14 I think have a variety of styles, sizes, themes. personally- I don't so much like the embroidered labels I've seen- too heavy/stiff