Thread: cloth diapers
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 06:45 PM
GingerK

My DD used cloth diapers for both her girls. The initial cost is huge but is only about half the cost of disposables over the diapered time of a baby. There are some draw backs. You have to use a special detergent because regular detergent negates the absorbancy of the liners. The liners have to be 'stripped' occasionally--means a special washing of some sort. You cannot use diaper cream on the baby because it interferes with the absorbancy(unless you put an extra little liner between butt and diaper).

I have also replaced the elastic on the legs and backs of many of those diapers. Pain in the butt but do-able and prolongs the life of the diaper. (this is the 'outer' part)

It is a great concept but I really don't think a lot of new parents understand the work and commitment this needs.

Making the outers consists of a special fabric, a special pattern and special fasteners. I am thrilled that DD did not ask me to attempt that. The liners are easier but still need certain fabrics and a serger.

If you are willing to do this, you are a better person than I am!!