Old 09-05-2013, 06:53 AM
DogHouseMom

All this talk about what papper to use since we started ... started me thinking about the "perfect" paper - tears easy, translucent, can withstand repeated sewing lines (in the event of oopsies - see my last paragraph) ...

I've used Carol Doaks and it's OK. Mostly I use plain copy paper with a small stitch length and I have no problem tearing it away, but I would like more translucency to see the placement of the pieces (I'm using dark heavy fabrics).

So yesterday I investigated the paper stash here at the office. I work for a company that makes large overhead cranes, so we have a ton of engineers and a ton of engineering drawings. The drawings are on transluscent paper ... BIG sheets of paper (think blue print size).

I found the paper and quizzed one of the engineers on how to use it. He walked over to the BIG copy (laser) machine, pressed a button and presto-bango it printed. And here I thought they had a "special" printer for it - no it's a regular copier - just BIG. So ... if I trim the stuff down I should not have a problem feeding it through my laser printer. He rolled up about 20 sheets (each sheet is 34 x 22 - so that's 8 sheets each x 20 = 160) and I brought them home last night.

I'm waiting for them to post the September block so I can try it out

On the same subject ....

I keep the paper on the block to sew each unit together with a long basting stitch. I then flip and check to make sure I matched correctly, if so, I stitch again (over the baste) with a small stitch length (if not ...riiiip and re-baste). I then remove the paper JUST along the seam line and I press my seams open. I may trim some of the bulkier areas. The remaining paper stays in the block for now. Repeat with each successive unit until all 6 units are together. I then remove all of the paper and press the block to make sure it's flat (you really can't check for flatness with the paper intact).

Also on the same subject .... my *record* for the number of times I have sewn the same seam in paper piecing (because of a mis-placed piece of fabric) is NINE times. Not my proudest moment