Thread: cloth diapers
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 07:19 AM
kellen46

Default Now this is an interesting topic

Back in the good old days....there was only cloth diapers, and they were just a large rectangle of absorbent cloth that we folded ourselves...one way for girls...pee to the back and one way for boys, pee to the front. I washed them with the same soap as I used for every thing else in a wringer washer and hung them up to dry on a line...Yes we had those awful plastic pants but since my kids got rashes easily I mostly only used them at night. Yes I had to change the diaper often...it was a once used, it was removed sort of deal. We used big pins with Duckies on the top to keep them closed. Now I am not saying that this was better than what is available but what I think is KISS...we all know what that means. Fabric.com has a designated diaper flannel, in 27" width, and PUL fabric for making a waterproof cover. I think that lined with more flannel they would be easy to make and comfortable. It was sort of relaxing at the end of the day to sit with a pile of fresh smelling cloth and fold a nice stack of clean ready to use diapers for the next day. I did this in a house without running water. We lived on a cattle ranch out in the desert, since the ground water was too alkali to use we had our water trucked in and stored in a cistern. Water was too precious to run it down a drain so it was hauled up one bucket at a time and used carefully. I had quite a system for storing, drinking, cleaning and washing up water. I do not recommend anyone do this but mention it only show that cloth diapers are a can do thing even under the most difficult of circumstances.