Old 09-07-2013, 02:05 AM
Knitette

Default If you don't pet your fabric, how will it know you love it?

I am a petter. I'm not sure if there's a cure for this - in fact, it seems to be getting worse............

I wasn't really aware of this until recently, when I was in my LQS. I thought everyone was like me. Another shopper kept giving me strange looks. At the time, I was blissfully stroking the new stock and running my hand ecstatically through a bundle of FQs. I ran my tongue over my teeth as I've been known to be over-generous with my lipstick (dim morning light, no glasses).

I moved over to another aisle, happily fondling a gorgeous batik and muttering, "Ooh, I love you! You would be perfect for Christmas." It was only when I had told another bolt I was stroking that, "I don't have anything to go with you, but I love you", that I noticed her still looking at me. I immediately looked down at my feet to check my shoes were the same (see above).

Confused, I gave here a wary half-smile and she smiled (well grimaced, if truth be told) and came over. She told me that she had never seen anyone in as much rapture over 'some cloth' as me! On the verge of collapse, I heard her say that it was her first time in a quilt shop - she was looking for a gift for her son's girlfriend who quilted. We exchanged a few pleasantries (it's true what you hear about the British and the weather) and off she went.

I carried on petting and talking until I made my purchases, but it made me think. Are you a petter? Do you fondle? How much do you stroke? Or do you just talk to your fabric?

I am indeed a petter, I love my fabric and am guilty of all counts.