Old 09-07-2013, 05:04 PM
suzanprincess

Originally Posted by Traditional View Post
I read on the board a long time back how terrible Flannel turned out that was purchased from Jo-Ann's. We have used it for Charity Quilts and I was shocked when I prewashed some red. I was concerned about it bleeding (no problem) After it's washed it has little fuzz balls all over it. I felt terrible one of our ladies bought about 50 yds. and donated it is so pretty before it's washed. Don't know how it holds up.
I've purchased--and washed--at least 50 yards of various flannels at JoAnne's, and not had a problem with any of it, neither pilling nor bleeding. It does shrink, of course; flannel does that.
As for rag quilts for babies, the seam allowances are cut every quarter inch or so, leaving NO long strings to come off. The residual lint could be a problem for a child with breathing problems, though. I would skip the rag idea myself, and just sew the squares or rectangles normally; it's faster to do and the quilt will be a bit larger because of the smaller seam allowances. It still does not need batting, and can be quilted simply. Instead of Xs, which I personally don't care for, I would go through the squares' middles lengthwise and crosswise with a deliberately slightly wavy line, adding some visual movement to the quilt while also being much less demanding to sew! Or just stitch in the ditch, or echo the seams, because with no batting involved it would only be to keep the blanket shape intact.

Last edited by suzanprincess; 09-07-2013 at 05:10 PM.