View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 05:25 PM
GEMRM

Originally Posted by Sheilz View Post
How can these work with an ordinary domestic machine? I see so many beautiful pictures on here of perfect quilting and design and have marvelled at the standard. Are these pantograms the secret? Are these re-usable like a plastic template? Sorry, please excuse my ignorance, unfortunately am struggling to visualise how I could use something like this to improve my own quilting.
I don't think the pantographs can be used with a regular sewing machine, with the mid arm or long arm set ups, the machine moves (thus can follow the pattern) vs the quilt being moved on a home sewing machine.
However, you can make a long template to stitch a border, or a centre motif. If it's a centre motif, drawn one 100 % size you want, stack wax paper squares the same size together, stitch pattern (without thread). This punches the pattern onto each square. You then iron the squares onto your quilt top, stitch (with thread) and then pull the paper off. For a long stretch/border, you find your repeat, drawn once onto a long strip of wax paper, fold the paper into accordian folds the size of your repeat and then stitch (without thread) so you have a template. Iron into place, stitch (with thread) and tear paper off.

I hope this is helpful, if you need more detail, please PM me.

GEMRM