View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 02:43 AM
grant15clone

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
What do you like to use to work on the finish? There are a lot of different favorites, and I'll admit I've tried a lot of different things, some worked, some silvered the decals or just flat dissolved them, dulled the shine, you name it.
Hard question to answer with one word. I have a few things I use. Machines are like kids. What works on one, doesn't always work on another one. For most machines car wax works best. On others, Sewing Machine Oil works best. I have several waxes that I use too. Different paint, different formula kind of thing. A vintage Pfaff usually likes sewing machine oil and it works best, and an early Singer 66 likes oil as well, but later ones like car wax
(M). 1940's to 1960's Japanese machines like almost any old car wax. I try different waxes until I am satisfied with the results. If I am not satisfied, I try oil. Some other times it needs both oil and wax to make them look the best.
But mostly I have good luck with car wax. I use a Meguire's wax and something I have had from a body shop made by a company called Wizards.
But be warned, do not use a buffing compound or a polishing compound. They have abrasives and will hurt your paint.
If there is an area that has already silvered, stay away from it. The paint seal has been compromised and can become more damaged by just wiping it with a dry towel. It should be protected and sealed from further damage FIRST before trying to shine it up. There is a good tutorial here on how to do that.
So my short answer, Car wax and / or Sewing Machine Oil. Neither should damage your paint if you are careful.
~G~