View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 03:46 AM
LynnVT

My mom also taught me to shop "by hand" as well as "by eye" and took me to many places she found where good fabric was resonably priced. We made clothes back then. But there is another factor to consider - people. I am also in a "Hallmark movie" kind of town, with a great LQS a mile away, and three others within ten or fifteen miles. There are others a greater distance away that are fun to shop as well. Those shops have so much to offer - kind, knowledgeable people who take time to help you and know their stock. They have classes, books, notions, thread. They have helped me become the quilter I am. Now that I am retired, I do need to spend carefully, and fortunately these stores have sales now and then. I know which one does not mark up older stock when manufacturer sends a new shipment for a higher price. I know the owners and know they are not "getting rich" or cheating anyone. They are passionate about their shops and the people who go there. My kids know that a gift card at the LQS is my favorite gift, and I've also gotten them from friends whose kids I occasionally teach. I want those stores to stay in business, and though I shop the boxes sometimes, when I want something nice, I go to the quilt store and choose carefully. When I run out of something, I dash there on a Sunday afternoon. I tell everyone about the great shops in this area and hope people keep coming here for a nice trip and good quality. You have to balance price and service along with quality. There are many ways of looking at things, and I don't scorn pinching pennies. I do hate that the box stores have altered small business in many areas and often force manufacturers to cut what they pay their help.