Thread: 9/11
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 07:57 AM
NJ Quilter

Went to a small ceremony this morning where another piece of steel from the WTC was being transported to one of the local hospitals. Some last minute arrangements were made and the firetrucks transporting the steel were able to make a stop at our local private school for the students to see. There was also a giant 3-section posterboard for them to write their thoughts/memories.

Was talking with one of the faculty there as well as another employee and we all commented on remembering exactly where we were that day/time. Just like when Kennedy was shot. I remember a friend calling me that AM to say a plane had hit the first tower. I assumed she meant a small plane. Turned on the TV to the horror of the second building being hit. Continued to watch TV that day until NY broadcasting went 'dark' as most of the broadcast towers were damaged in those attacks. Even here in central NJ we could see and smell the smoke from the burning buildings.

DH is a volunteer firefighter and became an EMT shortly thereafter. Our local ambulance squad was called to one of the outlying triage centers. Our fire company was on standby. Most schools in the area on lockdown that day. An unfortunate number of students were picked up by folks not their parents as their parents had killed or injured. A horrible, horrible day that bears remembering forever. And constant work towards peace.