View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 08:15 AM
lisa in ca

Default Hi from CA (but may soon be from TX...)

Hi everyone! I've been lurking around the site for a while now as I'm a beginner quilter. I started quilting when I saw some Beatles fabric in Joanns and since my daughter LOVES the Beatles I decided to make her a Beatles quilt. I bought the fabric and a Simplicity pattern there on the spot. When I got home and looked at all the paper templates I realized that since I didn't know really how to even sew with my sewing machine (husband is VERY good at sewing, knitting, needlepoint so I never learned as child or adult) that this was a disaster. I decided to just kind of wing it and went to my nearest quilting store and they helped me purchase some coordinating fabric. I did some research and found I could print pictures on fabric so I added that into the mix. I researched how to have it quilted and found someone inexpensive and she took care of the rest. Picture of completed quilt below!

Since that fateful Beatles quilt 2 years ago, I decided to take a beginning quilting class and loved learning from Laura Nownes. She helped me complete a second quilt for my niece. I have now made a bunch of baby quilts for friends/family, a double size quilt for my son and have in mind to make next a red and white double size quilt for our guest room. I think I'm hooked! I also have what seems like an embarrassing large amount of fabric I've collected from quilt hops, etc.

I live in the Bay Area and work for a venture capital firm as a secretary. My husband works for Chevron and it looks like we may have to move to Houston soon. Not crazy about the idea as I have a son in a good high school near our home where he's on a diving team (his passion). I also have a daughter who was married a year ago and is moving to DC to pursue a job with the FBI in counter terrorism.

I've learned a lot from this board lurking and am now jumping in to be more active and look forward to learning from all of you! Thanks!

Lisa
Attached Thumbnails beatles_1.jpg  

Last edited by lisa in ca; 09-11-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: subscribe to thread box forgot to check