View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 10:48 AM
cashs_mom

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Well, there are plenty of boutiques, independent businesses, small shops, mom and pop operations, and other wonderful non-chain stores of all types up here in the central reaches of New Hampshire that do not cater to "the obliged" (noblesse oblige?) at all. Indeed, they cater to any and all of us 'just plain regular folk' who cross their threshholds to explore the wonders held within, be it fabric, clothes, prescriptions, or bread, offered at very reasonable prices.

I agree, choose where and what you buy based on your personal circumstances and preferences, but for me, I will always choose the little local guy over the mega-giant. Always. But then, I'm lucky enough to live in a Hallmark movie kind of place.
We have tons of independently owned quilt stores here in Texas also. I don't think I've looked at fabric in a big box store in 20 years. We own our own business and I've developed an affinity for small businesses whether they are quilt shops, restaurants, dentists or any other supplier. I support the small businesses that, GASP, listen to what I want and will even special order for me.