View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 11:39 AM
pollyjvan9

Default How to Make Yardage From Scraps

Hi, I am flattered that some of you like my scrap quilts enough that you are interested in knowing how to make yardage. It is very simple. I have most of my scraps separated by color, so the 1st thing I do is grab a handful from each container and heap them on the floor by my Juki. Sometimes I concentrate on just one color or color range, if I have an idea I want to work on, but most of the time I just start grabbing. Also, I save ALL sizes of scraps, very small to about 1/4 yard. I also have a lot of strips from left over borders, sashings, etc. 2nd: I decide if I am going to use a foundation on not. This usually just depends on my mood. 3rd: Sometimes I pull a square, a triangle or a rectangle from the pile lay it right side up on the foundation fabric (a sheet, dryer sheet, paper, etc.) and then add strips around it just like a log cabin, except that I will piece strip or cut it into a wonky shape. #If I am not using a foundation, I just start adding strips to the center piece. 4th: I usually just keep adding until the size is unwieldly, then start another piece. PHOTOS: #1 is the pile of scraps I started with, #2 is a photo of a strip foundation pieced and two 8" x 8" squares that are just sewn together. #3 is more strips, one is about 24" wide x 5' long and is foundation pieced. The strips beside it are between 4" and 6". I have many of these pieces made up with mixed colors, or all in one color group. I usually mix all styles of scraps and the only thing I try to do is get some contrast and not put two pieces of like fabric together. Many of the quilts I have put on QB are made like this and the small rooster mug rug was made from some narrow left over pieced strips. NOTE: After I make up these pieces of yardage I cut them again to get a different effect, or leave them in strips to make quick quilts or piano key borders.
Attached Thumbnails scrap-pile-no.-1.jpg   yardage-1-2-.jpg   yardage-1.jpg   yardage-completed-project.jpg  

Last edited by pollyjvan9; 09-11-2013 at 11:44 AM.