View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 06:42 PM
hsquiltingmom

I know for the ones I have done for pay, I will figure out my costs of fabric, and I go with the full price of the fabric, but usually get it on sale. I also do a sample square to get an idea of how long it will take me to put the quilt together. It may not be real accurate, so I may add an extra hour or so to the time. I times this number by the amount I want to earn per hour. For the quilting I base it on what my local quilt shop charges. Usually .015 - .04 per square inch. I also base my binding charge on what some of the other quilters in my state are charging. I then write up a proposal, and if it comes to an odd amount, I up it a few dollars. I have found that I can usually judge pretty well how long a quilt will take me. I don't go over my proposal amount. If I find it took a whole lot longer, then I adjust for the next quilt that I do like that. I also ask my clients to not share with others what they paid for their quilt. The reason behind this, is that someone may like a simple four patch quilt I made, and ask what was paid for that quilt and expects a much more complicated design for the same price. My clients have been great in not sharing prices. I do have them give a non refundable deposit up front of 50% and they also have a proposal that details what will be done on the quilt. I had one guy that had me make a quilt for his wife, and he gave me an extra $20 than what I quoted to him. I really appreciated that, and he paid for the whole quilt up front. He has been one of my best word of mouth advertisers. I really like the idea from longarm university. The only thing I don't do is detail the cost of everything for my customers. I just don't like people knowing how much I make, even though it may not be a lot. My customers have been fine with a very basic proposal that states how the quilt will be done, and then the total amount it will cost.