Old 09-11-2013, 06:58 PM
manicmike

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
We sure don't find them all that common or all that cheap around here. If you remotely do they need a ton of work.
The $10.50 (cast iron, 1936) was cheap because the photo had corrupted on upload. The one that showed the machine (as it lay in "put away" mode) was very unclear but looked full-size, so I took a chance (V few people would bid on it sight-unseen ) and it was pick up only far from the city. It is almost in mint condition, perfect decals.
The last one was an aluminium knee controlled, $29 and the seller lied (I suspect) and said he didn't know how to use it but it worked. It didn't work - ran at full speed. Took the capacitors out and instantly fixed. Machine itself was barely used so after minimal muvving it looks and runs like new.
I like finding ads that say not working or obvious technology failures with pictures. Most won't bother or take a chance, but if you want a bargain, this is where they are. On eBay in Australia I've seen a perfect working 201 go for $26!
Some people are stupid enough to advertise two machines as a single sale. *We* are the only ones who would buy two sewing machines so bids are few and low. Look for auctions that finish during the working day, when 95% of interested parties are too busy at work to bid.
All the machines I've bought, except my first 201 (which had been restored then left in a shed for decades with the cover on) had a mass of fluff and tangled thread under the feed dogs.