View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 04:57 AM
Weezy Rider

We lost Ben Franklin years ago, Joanne used to be Cloth World, and our Hancock's was Northwest Fabric. We also had So-Fro and Woolco sold fabric, so did Michaels when it first opened.

I won't shop at Wally World. They weren't too good on animal care when they first opened and the fish suffered. So I've boycotted ever since.

I guess a lot of complaining brought the fabric back to Wally World. About 10 years ago they started shutting down fabric departments. This hurt a lot of people that were miles from another store. Looks like they have brought it back.

At one time, couldn't shop at any of the fabric and craft stores. Strong smells from the candles and pot-pourri used to make the kid miserable and give me a headache.

The one thing I really hate about all the stores, including independents is lack of choice. They all follow the same color schemes if not the actual fabric. And all the chain stores are fleece, fleece, fleece. I hate the stuff unless I'm making outerwear. It's hard to find good sweatshirt fleece and ribbing anymore. It's also bad enough with dye lots. Kids gave me a Gutermann case of sewing thread. The thread was all good the year it came out, but now there is enough difference in dye lots that the color is off. This year's burgundy might have more red or blue in it. You have some fabric you really liked and bought extra, and the next couple of years there is no color that really goes with it. I waited about 10 years for a certain shade of aqua and brown mix. I know they need to carry what sells, but if people want something else, don't complain if another section of the country has what you want and you shop online.

This site has listed a lot of good stores, and if I can get what I have in mind - whether it's a closeout or local preference, I'll start buying online. I "see" an item in certain colors and having to "settle" drives me crazy.